IU School of Medicine online privacy notice
This privacy notice applies only to the Indiana University School of Medicine (http://medicine.iu.edu) and explains our practices concerning the collection, use, and disclosure of visitor information. Visitor information collected by Indiana University School of Medicine will be used only as outlined in this privacy notice.
Other units at the university may collect and use visitor information in different ways. Therefore, visitors to other university web sites should review the privacy notices for the particular sites they visit. Indiana University School of Medicine is not responsible for the content of other web sites or for the privacy practices of web sites outside the scope of this notice.
Because Internet technologies continue to evolve rapidly, Indiana University School of Medicine may make appropriate changes to this notice in the future. Any such changes will be consistent with our commitment to respecting visitor privacy, and will be clearly posted in a revised privacy notice.
Collection and Use
When you view pages on our site, the web server automatically collects certain technical information from your computer and about your connection.
This web site is hosted on Webserve, a shared web hosting environment provided by IU's University Information Technology Services. For more information about privacy practices related to Webserve, read the Webserve Privacy Notice Supplement.
In addition to any information collected by Webserve, our server and/or site collects the following:
- the domain name from which you visit our site
- user-specific information on which pages are visited
- aggregate information on pages visited
- the referring web site
- the date and time of visit
- the duration of visit
- your browser type
- your screen resolution
Continued use of our web site indicates consent to the collection, use, and disclosure of this information as described in this notice.
Some technical information is retained in aggregate; some passively collected aggregate data may be retained indefinitely in the form of statistical reports.
- used for internal review and is then discarded
- used to improve the content of our site
- used to customize the content of our site
Information Used For Contact
If you supply us with your postal/mailing address, you will only receive the information for which you provided us your address.
We may share aggregate, non-personally-identifiable information with other entities or organizations.
We may share personally-identifiable information with other entities or organizations, under the following circumstances:
This information is:
- not shared with other organizations for commercial purposes
- disclosed when legally required to do so, at the request of governmental authorities conducting an investigation, to verify or enforce compliance with the policies governing our web site and applicable laws, or to protect against misuse or unauthorized use of our web site
We may provide this information to:
- other Indiana University units/departments/schools
We may make some personally-identifiable information available, such as:
- your name
- your email address
- other contact information, such as address or telephone number
Except as provided in the Disclosure of Information section below, we do not attempt to use the technical information discussed in this section to identify individual visitors.
Other than automatically collected technical information about your visit (described above, or cookies described below), we may ask you to provide information voluntarily, such as through forms or other manual input — in order to make products and services available to you, to maintain and manage our relationship with you, including providing associated services or to better understand and serve your needs. This information is generally retained as long as you continue to maintain a relationship with us. Your providing this information is wholly voluntary. However, not providing the requested information (or subsequently asking that the data be removed) may affect our ability to deliver the products or service for which the information is needed. Providing the requested information indicates your consent to the collection, use, and disclosure of this information as described in this notice. Information we may actively collect could include:
- the email addresses of those who post messages to our bulletin board
- the email addresses of those who communicate with us via email
- information volunteered by the visitor, such as preferences, survey information and/or site registrations
A cookie is a small data file that is written to your hard drive that contains information about your visit to a web page. If you prefer not to receive cookies, you may configure your browser not to accept them at all, or to notify and require approval before accepting new cookies. Some web pages/sites may not function properly if the cookies are turned off, or you may have to provide the same information each time you visit those pages.
- record session information, such as items that visitors add to their shopping cart
- record user-specific information on what pages users access or visit
- customize web page content on visitors' browser type or other information that the visitor sends
This site is not directed to children under 13 years of age, does not sell products or services intended for purchase by children, and does not knowingly collect or store any personal information, even in aggregate, about children under the age of 13. We encourage parents and teachers to be involved in children's Internet explorations. It is particularly important for parents to guide their children when they are asked to provide personal information online.
Use of Third Party Services
This website uses Google Analytics, a web analytics service provided by Google, Inc. ("Google"). Google Analytics uses "cookies" (described above) to help the website analyze how users use the site. The information generated by the cookie about your use of the website (including possibly your IP address) will be transmitted to and stored by Google.
For more information, please visit Google's Privacy Center.
Updating Inaccurate Information
In some cases, we will grant visitors the ability to update or correct inaccuracies in the information that we maintain.
Visitors may correct inaccuracies in:
- contact information that we have on file
- unique identifier information (e.g., visitor number or password) that we maintain
- communications that the visitor has directed to our site (e.g., emails, visitor inquiries)
Visitors can have this information corrected by:
- sending us email at the listed address
- calling us at the listed telephone number
Disclosure of Information
Other than sharing your information with other appropriate university personnel and units to ensure the quality, functionality, and security of our web site, or manage your relationship with us, we will not disclose personally identifiable information about your use of the site except under the following circumstances:
- With your prior written (including email) consent
- When we have given you clear notice that we will disclose information that you voluntarily provide
- With appropriate external parties, such as law enforcement agencies, in order to investigate and respond to suspected violations of law or University policy. Any such disclosures shall comply with all applicable laws and university policies.
Due to the rapidly evolving nature of information technologies, no transmission of data over the Internet can be guaranteed to be completely secure. While we are committed to protecting the privacy of our visitors, we cannot guarantee the security of any information that you transmit to University web sites, and you do so at your own risk. However, once we receive your information, we will use reasonable safeguards consistent with prevailing industry standards and commensurate with the sensitivity of the data being stored to maintain the security of that information on our systems.
In addition, we will comply with all applicable Federal, State and local laws regarding the privacy and security of visitor information.
Privacy Notice Changes
From time to time, we may use visitor information for new, unanticipated uses not previously disclosed in our privacy notice.
- Only data collected from the time of the policy change forward will be used for these new purposes. If you are concerned about how your information is used, you should check back at our Website periodically.
If you have questions or concerns about this policy, please contact us via email at email@example.com.
If you feel that this site is not following its stated policy and communicating with the owner of this site does not resolve the matter, or if you have general questions or concerns about privacy or information technology policy at Indiana University, please contact the University Information Policy Office, 812-855-UIPO, firstname.lastname@example.org.